Thursday 19 November 2009

A flourishing fixation with florals.




Whether they’re graphic, antique, bold or brocade, I just adore florals. From Liberty’s traditional print to Cath Kidson’s kitsch variety, they are and have been the desired print since their birth more than 100 years ago and have remained in bloom ever since.
But why is it we are so obsessed with florals? Is it their nostalgic qualities or simply their pretty aesthetic?  For me, it’s both. Granted, the florals of my childhood rather resembled those you would expect to find on a carpet from the 70s - which were of course printed all over the equally questionable dungarees, my mother insisted on dressing me in- as opposed to the fantastical, feminine designs that have blossomed onto the catwalks.
Whatever the reason, no longer are we afraid of the print that we have seemingly avoided after a long hate affair with our grandmother’s curtains. Now the print goes hand in hand with desirable, attractive clothing; seeing its popularity grow ever more by the decade.
Despite not particularly being a focal point at fashion week this year (much to my disappointment), the likes of Dolce&Gabbana, Luella and Erdem still incorporated florals in their SS 2010 collections- good news for all floral fanatics like me.


No comments:

Post a Comment